Dartmouth Cottage Hospital
The late Dr Giles Keane wrote this history of Dartmouth and Kingswear Cottage Hospital starting from its beginnings in 1887, when it was decided a new hospital was the best way to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Jubilee, to 1991. The hospital was first housed in Morocco House on Bayard’s Cove; in 1892 a building plot was acquired on the recently constructed South Embankment, and two years later the new hospital opened for business.
Dr. Keane’s book recounts tales of hospital life during the early 20th century, the building’s extension in 1926, and the constant struggle to raise sufficient funds to keep the enterprise solvent. In 1948 the hospital was taken over by the National Health Service; local support continued through the League of Friends, formed in 1956.
A second edition of this booklet, published by the League of Friends to bring the history up to 2014, is available from Dartmouth Museum. Sadly the hospital has now closed and the future of the building remains uncertain.
|Published:||1 April 1990|
|Format:||A4 Paperback (pp 14)|
|Price:||Available to view or download free by clicking on the buttons below:|