The History of the Castle Hotel, Dartmouth￼
Ray Freeman’s first booklet on the Castle Hotel was published in 1995. During the next three years more information about the building’s history came to light, enabling her to write this much enhanced version of the story. Beginning as two private houses in 1639, by 1736 one had become the “New Inn”. By 1774 the establishment had spread into the house next door and was referred to as the Castle Inn. With the improvement of road access to Dartmouth in the 19th century, the Castle became a fully-fledged coaching inn, with stables and coach houses built at the rear. In 1841 the building was refurbished and extended again to provide more guest accommodation, reopening as the Castle Hotel. The decision to add “Royal” to the hotel’s name was made in 1902 by the then owner, Edmund Saunders, apparently because of a brief visit by the new king, Edward VII, some years earlier when Prince of Wales. Business has thrived ever since and there have been many other famous visitors.
|Format:||A5 Paperback (pp 44)|