Property     Commercial
Conveyance of Mills   
DHRG No. 100001
Document Number: TO/Ad/Pr/010
Document Held: DRO Exeter

The town mills were conveyed to Holdsworth by Pollexfen and Julian his wife which Julian was the widow of – Roope. By lease 161 Ambrose Roope granted to the Town the water from Ford Meadow to the conduit in the Churchyard.

Between:- Arthur Holdsworth
Mayor, Bailiffs and Burgesses of Borough

Paid £450 to AH by Mayor, Bailiffs and Burgesses of Borough for 2 corn or water grist mills and 1 malt mill together with the mill pool and a certain Kay (quay) lately erected by – (sic) Wills late of Stoke Fleming yeoman deceased on north side on or near the Foss.

Also garden and stable at North ford at head of the Mill Pool and 2 closed of land or meadow at North Ford one on North side and one on South side of a close called North Ford which belong to the Mills litter (sic) together with mills, mill pool and 2 closed occupied by Richard Toms then John Ching then in possession of Cornelius Hayne Esq deceased.

Barrington House, Tracing its Past.   
DHRG No. 100002
Barrington House as it is now known (2013) has had a number of different names since it was built when it was called Park Villa reflecting the nature of the land it overlooked. It was also known variously as Townstal House & Townstal House Hotel then the Royal House Hotel followed by Barrington House Hotel dropping the Hotel when it was converted into apartments in 2012/13.

There is a record of the land being leased from Mr. Henry P.Seale and others to a Mr. and Mrs. Smith in 1867, a conveyance from William Smith to Ralph Richardson in 1873, then conveyed to the Rev. John Aldous in 1880.

Three other villas were built about 1870 in the area, Redwalls, Ashleigh and Rook House. However Swinnerton Lodge dates from about 1830, and Boringdon (formerly Townstal Villa and Bexley) from about 1850.

The list of Conveyances shows various owners and lessees from 1936 to 1988, including Mr. Williams, Lt.Comm. and Mrs. Bryer (Fryer ?), Emily Linsdell, Mr. and Mrs. F.Baker, Sansum Investments, Mr. J.Pedersen, Mr. and Mrs. Pedersen and Mr. Hawke. During this time the house became a hotel. Mrs. Baker also mentions a Mr. Legge and a Mr. Royle (who named the hotel the Royal House Hotel) as later owners. In 2000 Mrs. Baldwin renamed the hotel as Barrington House Hotel.

Dartmouth Pubs & Inns   
DHRG No. 100011
Brief history of Inn & Pub owners or landlords in Dartmouth with some notes where available.
Most recent information may not be up to present date.

Hawke Ernest, Furnishers   
DHRG No. 100012
Summary of documents and covering letter by Ray Freeman relating to Ernest M Hawke of Duke St Dartmouth. from 1814 to 1973. PDF format.

Jesse Ceiling, Dartmouth   
DHRG No. 100013
Situated in one of Dartmouth’s finest buildings, No. 12 the Butterwalk this beautifully designed plaster ceiling depicting the Tree of Jesse is probably the only surviving Jesse plaster ceiling in the world.
It can be viewed by arrangement with Dartmouth Museum.

4 The Quay, a Town House   
DHRG No. 100015
A Devon town-house of 1664. A detailed document of the building which has a mixed Residential and Comercial use.

Lease for Cellars and Loft at Harnesse (Formerly Sykes)   
DHRG No. 100017
Document Number: TO/Ad/Pr/013
Document Held: DRO Exeter
Arthur Hunt, Redlap, Stoke Flemin – Merchant
Arthur Howe Holdsworth, Mt Galpine House, Dartmouth – Esquire
Rev Rob Holdsworth, Brookhill – Clerk
Hy Holdsworth, Hardness House – Esquire
Edmund Pollexfen Bastard, Kitley House
Mayor, Bailiffs and Burgesses of Borough of Darmouth
John Oldreive, Landcombe, Blackawton – Land Surveyor (nominated by and in trust for AH Holdsworth

Lease and release of 22 October 1772, Borough of Dartmouth to Thomas Taylor Esq. Sum of forty ______ (sic) punds paid by John Oldreive ___ for all that palace or courtlage and yard with the cellars and lofts and storehouses at Hardnesse which extend from the street to the water eastward as far as the eastside of the Pallace formerly of Arthur Champernowne Esq, 34 feet from the palace to the South and bounded by the lands of Arthur Champernowne Esq on North, the water on East, a small plot belonging to Parish of Townstal and the slip belongin to the Corporation on South and the street on West. All this property to John Oldreive from 25 March 1833 for 79 years on Trust for AH Holdsworth, rent of 5 shillings 4 times a year.

Plus seals and signatures.

The Wilton Memorial to Dartmouth Men who fell in the Great War 1914-1919.   First World War     Residential     Social History 20thC
DHRG No. 102731
Images of booklet on the history of the Wilton Memorial, endowed by Sir Thomas Wilton, Mayor of Dartmouth 1914-1919. Author not given, published 1930. Endowment covered Cromwell House, Fairfax Place, and two residential houses in Victoria Road. Details given in booklet.

Summary of Indentures re 12 Townstal Crescent and Mt.Boone Estate/Townstal Farm   
DHRG No. 103015
The information in this item has been subsumed into DHRG Archive Item #103016.

Window dispute Duke Street   
DHRG No. 103024
1. Allen Macey of DM, draper 2. William Robert Creed of DM. gent and Robert Lewis Fox of DM. accountant.(executors of will of Robert Moysey Mortimore, deceased)Allen Macey is owner of an adjacent property in Duke Street to R.M.Mortimore, and has opened a new window in his western wall, causing disputes between the parties.

Parade House   
DHRG No. 103078
Chronicle article on large unusual building the Quay & Duke Street

Leases   Butterwalk
DHRG No. 100004
Precis of leases for the Butterwalk in the 17th Century.

History   Butterwalk
DHRG No. 100005
Part of a draft document on the history of the Butterwalk.

Butterwalk restoration   Butterwalk
DHRG No. 100006
Letter from Ray Freeman to the Dartmouth Chronicle pointing out several inaccuracies in a recent article

Restoration of the Butterwalk   Butterwalk
DHRG No. 103102
Celebration dinner to mark the completion of the restoration of the building after it was damaged in WW2.

Deeds Royal Oak   Royal Oak
DHRG No. 100008
Summaries of Deeds re Bayards Restaurant

Census   Royal Oak
DHRG No. 100009
Royal Oak Public House in Census of 1861

Directory Entries   Royal Oak
DHRG No. 100010
Directory Entries for Royal Oak Public House

1906 Charity Commission Report (extract)   Dartmouth Charities     Residential     Social History 20thC
DHRG No. 102757
Extracts from 1906 Charity Commission Report on Dartmouth Charities, schedule of Property, Tenants, Income, Terms etc. The charities are not named.

Abbreviations   Shop and Businesses
DHRG No. 103134
List of abbreviations used in Shops & Businesses archive files No's 103121, 103122

Dartmouth Shops & Businesses North   Shop and Businesses
DHRG No. 103135
Record of Dartmouth Shops & Businesses over time, updated as new information comes to light. Broadstone, Browns Hill, Coombe Rd, Coombe Tce, Coombe, Coronation Park, Church Rd , Clarence St, Clarence Hill, College Way, Collingwood Rd, Higher Victoria Road, Ivatt Rd, Mayors Ave, Mount Boone, Nelson Rd, N Embankment, Ridge Hill, Silver St, Townstal Rd, Townstal Crescent,

Dartmouth Shops & Businesses Central   Shop and Businesses
DHRG No. 103136
Record of Dartmouth Shops & Businesses over time, updated as new information comes to light. Duke St, Anzac Street, Collaford lane, Church Close, Fairfax Place, Higher St, Palladum Arcade, Palladum Mews, St Saviours/Hanover Square, Flavel & Raleigh St, Foss Street, Smith Street, Uniom St Lower Victoria Rd, (Inc Victoria Tce, Carlton Tce, Wilsdene Tce, Pebble Tce, Spring Bank), Market St, Market Square & Inner Market.

Dartmouth Shops & Businesses South   Shop and Businesses
DHRG No. 103137
Record of Dartmouth Shops & Businesses over time, updated as new information comes to light. Above Town, Bayards Cave, Bayards Hill, Castle Road,Castle Green,, Waterpool Lane, Crowthers Hill, Lower Street, Newcommen Rd, South Town, , Southford Rd, Hauley Rd, Oxford St, S Embankment,